This week 2 of our 3 children went shopping with me for THE TWINS, my neice Abby Kate, and newphew, Joshua. They turn 2 years old in a few days. I've been a bit bummed lately, wishing I could turn back the clock and have a few "do overs" with my own children.
I called Sunny, the twin's momma, and asked for some present ideas. I was willing to buy clothes if they needed them, but was excited to learn toys were a bigger priority. Oh goodie! I love to play on the toy aisle and check out the newest gizmo's and gadgets for little tykes.
When we arrived at the toy department, Hope and I took a lot of time just looking. You see, our boys are 12 and 15. They rarely ever ask us to buy them anything and we rarely do. Hope likes everything she sees, but she doesn't expect toys or gifts unless it's a birthday or holiday. So I guess we are blessed that they don't ask or expect a lot from us.
It then occured to me that our children have outgrown most kid toys. The boys packed away the trains and trucks a long time ago. The Tinkertoys, Lincoln Logs, and blocks are stored in the attic along with Legos, Matchbox cars, and Star Wars figures. There is also a pink mirrored vanity, art easle, Fisher Price Doll House, Fisher Price Castle, Fisher Price Western Town, and a Fisher Price Pirate Ship with oodles of characters for imaginative play. Why I even have some of my own childhood treasures stored up there. I have my Barbie Dolls, a Baby Tender Love, and a metal child size ironing board.
It tears me up to think about getting rid of these material treasures. It's the memories that keep me from parting with them. I can still see Ethan at 4 years old, in the floor with all his Thomas the Tank Engines. His hair shone bright red and his eyes were full of eagerness while he sat playing. Then came Micah, who could entertain himself forever building with blocks, logs, and tinkertoys and legos. He amazed us at an early age with the complex structures he could put together. Next came Hope who got a vanity from Santa at age 3. I remember all the dress up accessories, then Barbie Dolls, and Build A Bears (wish I'd thought of that idea!).
Nope, they don't ask for toys anymore. The boys are caught in that awkward age between childhood play, and adult resposibility. Its a real challenge to keep them from being bored or hungry, and interested in constructive activities. Then when Hope recently decided to spend her allowance on a pair of shoes instead of a toy....I just about cried. I'm not ready for childhood to end.
Guess that's why us parents hold onto the toys and the memories so hard. Childhood is such a special time for the child, but more so, for the parents. No - we don't want it to end, but it happens anyway. What I would give if I could go back in time and have that newborn snuggled on my shoulder, feel a little hand reach for mine, see the excitement and anticipation over the Easter Bunny, and Santa Clause, and the watch their thrill in learning to ride a bike.
If I could turn back time, I would play more and work less. I would read more stories and watch less TV. I would pack a picnic go to the park every chance I could. I would let the dishes sit in the sink a little longer and jump rope with my daughter. I would get my fingers in the finger paints too. I would have tea parties every Monday with real cookies and lemonade. We would all make that gingerbread house at Christmas and go see Granddaddy and Grandmother more often. I would have pillow fights even though it was past bed-time and make waffles whenever the kids wanted them. I would have scrimped and saved to build the play yard when they were real little. I wished I would have tried the SLIP N SLIDE with them. And when they were napping, I wish I would have napped some of the time too.
Lord help me to have a child's playful spirit today and everyday. Help me see Your world through a child's eyes sometimes. Lord help me to find joy, and peace, and happiness through all the adult responsibilty on my shoulders. Thank you for giving us children. They are a true blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment