Thursday, June 01, 2006

OUT OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT

Most of you who know me very well, understand that I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. In fact, those years of schooling and tuition were really unecessary because all I really need to know is how to drive a mini van and how to use a credit card to pay for gasoline. Just this morning I contributed $71.31 to the gasoline industry to refill the van and the gas cans. This week alone, I logged nearly 600 miles!!

Those who know me best also understand that I would rather drive than ride any day.. It's a "Bybee" trait. I would much rather be in control than put my life in someone else's hands. My brother is the same way. So any driving vacations Jason and I have ever taken together, he and I take turns at the wheel while our spouses relax..

About 2 weeks ago, May 20th to be exact, I had a life changing experience. Our oldest child Ethan had finally received his rite of passage - the long awaited learner's permit. He had studied the book and passed the written test with ease. I had intended to let Dad do the honors and teach him the ways of the road. However, we were in town at my in-laws on Saturday and I needed to take Ethan shopping for a pair of shorts at the outlet mall about a mile away. As we approached the van to get in, I realized taking the short, back road route might be something Ethan could handle and give him some driving experience.

With sweaty palms, I handed him the keys. He most eagerly accepted, went to the driver's side and hopped in with a wide, proud grin on his red headed freckled face. Then I was forced to park my rear in the passenger's seat and it hit me - my life is in the hands of a 15 year old!

Our van was parked directly behind my mother-in-law's Honda CRV. Other family memebers were present in the yard helping with her yardwork. I quickly canvased the yard to be sure our other 2 children were safe out of harm's way. Then Ethan put his foot on the brake, and put the van into gear. He turned his head to look out the back windows as he backed up. However, the van was in DRIVE, not REVERSE. I knew this before he took his foot off the gas, but froze still and mute. I couldn't say anything or do anything. Ethan gunned the gas pedal and let off quickly as we hurled forward. Thankfully the CRV stopped us as the van's bumper collided with the CRV's spare tire and we came to a complete stop. Since rubber hit rubber, there was no real damage to our van or her CRV. Also, my mother-in-law and Richard were in the yard and witness the whole event.

At this point I wanted to yank my first born out of the driver's seat and demote him to the back row of our van. But doing so would only prove I had no trust in his abilities to master the wheel. I won't always be around to drive for him, so it's imperative he master this skill. So I tried not to let my anxiety show. I told him no harm done, all is well, and assured him he could learn. We finally got turned around with the front of our van pointed in the direction we needed to go. Ethan didn't turn wide enough out of the drive, so our back wheel dropped off into the ditch. Ethan also underestimated how long it takes for a one ton vehicle to come to a COMPLETE stop. I found myself pressing harder and harder on my imaginary brake to no avail. We made it to the mall and I instructed my son to park far away from the doors. We finally came to a stop and he turned the engine off - without putting the van in park.

We both learned a lot on that first short drive. Ethan said, "That was a lot harder than I thought it would be." AMEN SON!! You will never know how hard that really was until you are teaching your own to drive and you are OUT OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT!

This experience also paralles my spirtual life as well. I really do want to be in the driver's seat. I need to be reminded often that the driver's seat belongs to the Master and I must trust Him completely. I wonder if I often make HIM say "This is harder than I thought it would be." I bet Hewishes I would stay OUT OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT and leave the driving to Him.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I can only imagine what you are going through. Just think, Jason and I will have to go through 2 at the same time! Anyways, I love the blog. I am now officially online!:) See you this week.

Jason said...

Great post. Looking forward to more posts in the future. Reminds me of when I borrowed your old Camry to take my driving test. I don't know if I'd ever driven it and I wasn't used to the brakes. Not pretty. I really shouldn't have passed!

Anonymous said...

Can only say that I understand! Trying to teach Cody to drive a standard transmission is the best way to see how good doctors are at
diagnosing whiplash! Our parents survived so surely we will as well.

Anonymous said...

God is good!
Thanks Tara for your blog.
F.H. & Becky :-)

jfk said...

I am with you on this one. I think children are one of God's tools that He uses to pry control out of our hands.