Tuesday, March 04, 2008

TOO MANY GREMLINS

I apologize for the lack of any interesting posts. I had photos to show of the father daughter banquet, Ethan's birthday, and our work day at the Pedigo's property following the tornadoes, and other thoughts to express. After working for the tornado relief, all of our shoes and clothes were coated with mud, wood, and dust. I washed all the jeans, gloves, heavy coats, and cleaned the shoes. When I removed my heavy winter coat from the washer, I found my digital camera in the case - soaked. Needless to say, the camera is ruined as well as the battery. I am hoping the pics will still be saved on the SD card. We haven't tried it yet and have given it time to dry out.

The next day, last Sunday, we went to the grocery after AM worship. Richard was easing into the garage as he always does - since that's where the 2 cats live during the winter. For some reason Toby, Hope's cat, decided to park his rear under our rear wheels. We heard a yowl and expected to find a flat cat. After much emotion and commotion we found Toby injured and cowering in the corner. Snickers, his sister cat, was obviously aware her brother was injured as she rushed to Toby's side and began licking him as to offer him comfort. Ginger sensed something was wrong and she went nuts barking and jumping all over the place. Richard called the vet and he made an emergency visit to his office to see Toby. Toby spent the next 7 days in ICU (intensive cat unit) and finally came home Sat. For the next 10 days, Toby is confined to the laundry room. He can barely drag his rear end into the litter box, and appears to leak along the way! He kinda walks crooked now. But the vet is confident he will heal on his own with time. I also made $275.00 on the FCS consignment sale. The vet bill was $273.82.... Oh well looks like the screen TV contribution will remain on hold indefinately - or as it seems eternally.

We lost a lot of shingles the night of the tornadoes. Our neighbor was lucky enough to find a roofer who would actually show up to make repairs to his roof. Richard asked the roofer to take a look at our damage. Thankfully he was able to come right over and begin working. We needed over 20 shingles replaced and the roofer was so kind to only charge us 80$ for less than an hour's labor.

We also received the LARGEST utility bill of our lives this month to the tune of $368.00! A few days before the bill came I noticed our Central Heat Unit didn't sound right and noticed the EMERGENCY heat light was on. I guess the Emergency heat must have been on for a long time...hence double the electric bill. I had turned the unit off for the past 3 days. Right now Richard has on his snow cap. I told the kids to bundle up 'cause the thermosatat is goin' down. Our unit is 15 years old. I hate to think of the cost involved in replacing it.

We are off that 21 day fast. We lasted 14 days. I gained 5 pounds :(

A week ago Wed, as Richard and I were powering down from a long hard day, the phone rang at 9:30pm. The caller ID said "CITY OF LEBANON." I thought it was probably the Firefighter's Donation Organization. The man on the phone asked to speak to MR BEARD. Turns out it was the Lebanon Police Dept calling to report that they had "our son" who had run a red light, appeared to bottom out, appeared to have almost lost control, and the cop thought our son was trying to "evade" him. Turns out Ethan got himself a pink slip known as a "TICKET" along with a court date set for April 18th. Ethan knew the cop was following him, but the cop didn't have his lights on, so Ethan decided to signal and turn down a dark "alley" like side street. We are praying for mercy so his insurance doesn't increase. If so, Ethan must pay for his own insurance from now on. He can hardly afford to keep gas in his truck, let alone afford the added insurance.

I remember being a teenage driver myself. I was paying for my own vehicle and the gas to go in it. On one occasion I didn't have enough money to pay for some repairs. To my surprise my parents (who probably couldn't really have afforded to do so) paid the bill for my repairs. When I expressed my thanks and remorse for not being able to pay up, my Mom made a comment I will never forget. She said, "Tara, this is just one of life's little Gremlins. We won't let it take away our happiness."

We've sure had more than our share of GREMLINS here lately. I'm sure there will always be GREMLINS in our lives. So what are your GREMLINS?

2 comments:

Sunny said...

When it rains, it pours! I really feel for you guys right now. I hope that things will turn around quickly and that life will get a little more manageable. That cruise can't come soon enough, right?

About teenage drivers...
I am dreading that day! Today while heading home from Kroger and CVS, I drove through the city's school zone. I unfortunately timed it just right and hit the high school's traffic. A teenage boy rode my tail for miles. I wanted to tell the cop at the middle school traffic stop about what he was doing, but decided against it. Does this kid know that I have 3 small children in my minivan? Does he see the line of say 10 cars in front of me? Does this kid think that he is the ONLY one that deserves to ride on the road? Is my 5 miles over the speed limit not fast enough for him? Did he really think that by cutting through the Arby's parking lot that he was going to "beat" me? (Oh, and thank goodness that there was not a mother and her small children trying to cross the parking lot to get a roast beef sandwich!) And what is with the look??? Like I said, I am dreading that stage! They are not all like that, right?

TARA said...

Seems like misfortune tends to come in 3's!

I'm convinced the driving age should be raised to at least 18!

I really miss the 3-5 Y.O. age. If you blink - you'll regret it. I am so glad you are home with yours. I know it is hard, but I think those years are the happiest of all. I miss chubby hands, sticky faces, and all those precious days.

As for all teenagers being "that way" I know Mom would say they "are what you make 'em" and I know your children are blessed to have you and Jason as parents.

I need to call you soon