Thursday, July 17, 2008

Children of the Corn!



Tuesday my cousin Kelly and I drove up to KY to the Mennonite and Amish communities in search of fresh, affordable produce. We also took our youngest kiddos. Kelly took Lane and Karis and I took Hope. It was a beautiful day, low humidity, and not a cloud in the sky. We really enjoyed our "field" trip. Kelly and I were mainly in the market for fresh corn. Together we bought 18 DOZEN ears of corn, 2 boxes of tomatoes, 1 box of squash, 3 cantaloupes, nearly 20 peppers, spices, and even some yummy Amish baked goods. We arrived back at Kelly's house shortly after lunch and got our teenage sons involved in the "corn" process as well. All of us proceeded to shuck, silk, cut, cook, and bag 216 ears of corn. We finished around 6pm. WHEW! Here are some pics of the CHILDREN OF THE CORN:










Can't you just taste the corn right now?:





Peaches and Cream Corn, Yum!



We had a total of 30 quart bags of corn, so that's 15 bags per family. I wanted to have enough to last until next summer, but I don't think this will be enough. Looks like we will have to make another trip next week!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Wow! That's a lot of corn! Was it worth the trip for the price or the quality of corn (or both)? I need to do the same thing. So do you just freeze it and pull it out as needed through the winter? There are a lot of things that I need to learn about freezing and canning.

TARA said...

Sunny

We paid 2.50 per dozen ears at one place and 3.00 per dozen at the other place. At the farmer's market here in town, it's 5.00 per dozen! The drive was about 35-40 min's from Kelly's house. The prices were fantastic. I got 3 cantalopes for 1.00! A box of tomatoes for 8.00 (I paid over 20 at the farmer's market here last year). Yes is is worth the trip, especially if you can ride together. If you are in Lebanon anytime soon, we need to go!