Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Favorite Things

I've discovered something about myself these past few years and I don't really know if it's a positive character trait or not. I find that usually, I really really like, enjoy, love, adore something OR I really really really dislike, don't enjoy, or abhor something. At times I wish there were more middle ground for me, but there isn't.

I've never been much into shoes, clothes, makeup, fashion, or even purses. There was a 6 year period of time when I was either "with child", trying to become "with child" or I looked like I was still "with child." One day I looked in my closet and realized most of my clothing looked like wallpaper or old quilts. A closer look at my wardrobe made me question if I were a member of some denim cult, or possibly a member of an overall club. There were denim dresses, denim skirts, denim shorts, denim skorts, denim overalls, denim overall shorts, and also the fashionable and coveted overall dress in DENIM! Acessories did not exist for me. Shoes consisted of flip flops in a couple of colors, clogs, tennis shoes and a pair of dusty black heels. I also changed my purse twice a year. I had a straw one for summer and a brown one for fall and winter.

The realization of my fashion faux pas motivated me, to some degree, to invest some time and money in myself. Like so many mommies with kids - I rarely shopped for myself, and if so, I hardly ever gave much thought to what I really liked. If it fit, and was cheap, it became mine! When I decided to make some changes, it took a while for me to get to know myself and find my "style."

So today, please humor me a little. I give you a recent purchase (with birthday money) which I made at Disney World. I saw this purse on the shelf and it spoke to me. When I look at it, I am taken back to my childhood. This purse makes me feel like a kid again. The hearts on it make me feel happy. I love the cartoon of Micky kissing Minnie. I love the cartoon where Minnie is on the scales and is freaking out at her weight. The cartoon of Minnie handing Mickey flowers and telling him "LET'S TAKE A ROMANTIC STROLL TOGETHER" while Mickey says "AW GEE, AM I MISSING THE GAME?" is priceless!
Yea I'm nuts, but I really, really, really like this purse!

3 comments:

Amy S. Grant said...

yeah, you're nuts but I really, really like you! And the purse is cute, too. I'll have to see it in person. It matches your cute outfit too. :)

Anonymous said...

Great purse!!!
It will always remind you of a great time.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

I love the purse! And I prefer Almond Joy over Mounds any day...