Thursday, May 01, 2008

Tara's Kitchen Goes Mid-State

Monday was a nice day here and Hope spent some time digging in the dirt and adopting a pet snail. She made a home for it in a bowl and set it outside on the back porch. While I had snails and dirt on my kitchen counter. The phone rang.

I answered the phone and was suprised to hear our school administrator's (Katrina) voice since we finished all our duties last week. Katrina's grown daughter Kacy produces a show on Channel 4 call Better. They were looking for someone to prepare some Mother's Day brunch food for the camera and they wanted to know if I would be interested. The problem was, I'd have less about 18 hours to get my nasty kitchen clean and organized, plan a menu, shop for food, and prepare for the event. I asked if they were sure they wanted me, since at the moment I still had dirt and snails on the kitchen counter. I asked for 10 min's to think about it. I called my husband and he said, "Yes, go for it!"

I started delegating the house chores to the children and set off to Kroger. When I got back the kids had made a dent in the grime. I also called my dear friend Gwendolyn to see if she could come over and arrange my knick knacks above the cabinets to make it look a little better. Ethan mopped the floor. Micah cleaned the bathrooms and vacuumed. Richard came home and started helping. The windows got washed, the light fixtures cleaned, the cob webs got knocked down, and at midnight we all collapsed into bed.

I think I got myself into this because of my Cinnamon rolls. I have been making them frequently and had taken a batch to school a couple of weeks ago. I don't particularly feel like I have done anything special. I have simply found the right recipe that sends people into a happy trance when they begin eating them.

Channel 4 sent Jennifer Heron, Kacy Hagerty, and a cameraman to our house here in 'Possum Town TN and filmed for nearly 3 hours while I proceeded to work with 3 different batches of roll dough at 3 different phases of the process! Hope joined me in the cooking and Micah joined in the tasting for the camera. So by the time Tuesday was over, I had gone through 10 pounds of flour, 4 pounds of powdered sugar, almost a gallon of milk, and a lot of other stuff in the kitchen.

This segment is set to air tomorrow at 1pm on Channel 4 WSMV. Initially the segment was to be 3 min's but it may end up being 2- 3 minute segments.

I sent each person from the TV station away with their own pan of rolls. They ate some on the way back to the station and the rest were eaten by the staff. They are considering coming out again sometime to do another segement sometime in the future! I still can't believe this really happened to me!!!

I will post pictures or links tomorrow after the segment airs. There's a chance it might get bumped to next week. More info to follow.

2 comments:

Jason said...

That's great! You'll have to see if you can get a DVD copy from the station or find someone with a DVD Recorder to burn you a copy.

Amy S. Grant said...

I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see you in action. Maybe I'll learn how to make delicious cinnamon rolls, too.